The Harekaze is a Kagerou-class destroyer under the command of Akeno Misaki. Over the events of Haifuri, the destroyer would distinguish itself as the ship that saved Yokosuka from the wrath of the Totalitarian Disease.
The Harekaze is a Kagerou-class destroyer with, like most ships from Yokosuka Naval Academy, has red stripes on the hull and superstructure. The naval academy's badge are in both sides of the forward funnel.
The Harekaze only has subtle differences from the original World War II designs. She also features two military-grade skippers toward the bow of the vessel. Most of its systems like the main batteries are automated, given that it only takes less people to operate the ship.
Due to being outfitted with test equipment, the Harekaze is the fastest destroyer in its class. However, the equipment also makes her unstable.
It is the only known destroyer to have received upgrades over the course of the series.
After the events of the two-part OVA, the new Harekaze (ex-Okikaze) carries most, if not all, of its systems from the old Harekaze.
En route to the rendezvous point, however, the Harekaze suffered engine trouble. Before they could even get to the islands, however, the Sarushima met it on open waters and began bombarding the destroyer. To save her classmates, Akeno ordered a dummy torpedo to be fired on the Sarushima to disable it long enough to make their escape. However, in doing so, they were branded as mutineers.
Throughout the series, the Harekaze slugged it out with ships multiple times its size such as the Admiral Graf Spee and Hiei. Akeno used the only advantage the destroyer had--its speed and maneuverability--to great effect to outwit these capital ships.
After rescuing the Musashi and preventing an epidemic from breaking out in the mainland, the Harekaze returned to port and delivered its crew safe and sound. Only when it had done did the ship sank beneath the waves. While saddened at the loss, the crew honored the ship for its sacrifice.
A month after the incident, the Harekaze was partially refloated. Its internal workings were transferred to the Okikaze (designation number Y-469), which was rechristened as the new Harekaze.
- Misaki Akeno - Captain/class representative
- Munetani Mashiro - Deputy captain/deputy-class representative
- Tateishi Shima - Chief Artillery Officer
- Irizaki Mei - Chief Torpedo Officer
- Nosa Kouko - Recording secretary
- Shiretoko Rin - Chief Navigation Officer and helmsman
- Ogasawara Hikari - Firing command post: aiming main battery
- Takeda Michiru - Firing command post: rotating main battery
- Heki Junko - Firing command post: master gunner
- Matsunaga Ritsuko - Operator, Torpedo Tube 1
- Himeji Kayoko - Operator, Torpedo Tube 2
- Marikouji Kaede - Sonar technician/bugler
- Katsuta Satoko - Navigation personnel, substitute helmsman
- Yamashita Hideko - Navigation control, port side
- Uchida Mayumi - Navigation control, starboard side
- Yagi Tsugumi - Signals intelligence/telegrapher
- Uda Megumi - Radar operator/operations specialist
- Noma Machiko - Watch signalwoman
- Yanagiwara Maron - Chief engineer
- Kuroki Hiromi - Assistant engineer
- Wakasa Reo - Stoker
- Ise Sakura - Stoker
- Suruga Runa - Stoker
- Hirota Sora - Stoker
- Wazumi Hime - Damage control
- Aoki Momo - Damage control
- Toumatsu Mimi - Treasurer
- Irako Mikan - Mess management/boatswain's mate
- Kinesaki Homare - Mess management/boatswain's mate
- Kinesaki Akane - Mess management/boatswain's mate
- Kaburagi Minami - Chief Medical Officer
- Wilhelmina Braunschweig Ingenohl Friedeburg - tactical adviser (temporary)
- Isoroku - "Admiral," anti-rodent duty
In other media Edit
World of Warships Edit
The Harekaze, along with the Admiral Graf Spee, is planned to make an appearance in the online multiplayer game World of Warships. Initial screenshots of the upcoming collaboration feature the Harekaze's main gun, which can be upgraded from the 12.7 cm. main gun to the 10 cm. main gun and Mk. 39 5-inch cannon. The ships can be purchased in the Premium Shop upon release.
- In the anime, the Harekaze's main batteries were constantly upgraded to Type 98 10 cm/65 caliber guns and American Mk 16 5"/54 caliber dual-purpose guns. The Kagerou-class destroyers during World War II never received such upgrades, especially the Type 98s, as naval doctrine shifted to increasing the number of anti-air guns as the war got closer to the Japanese homeland. Furthermore, the destroyers were never designed to accept American weapons.
- The Yukikaze, the only surviving destroyer of its class, however, was upgraded to the 10 cm dual-purpose guns after the war, when she was in service with the Taiwanese navy, which rechristened her as the Tan Yang. The ship became famous for evacuating generalissimo Chiang Kai Shek to Taiwan after the Chinese Civil War.
- The Harekaze is the only ship in Hai-Furi without a historical analogue. None of the 19 Kagerou-class destroyers commissioned during World War II was named as such.
- Although the Okikaze is portrayed as a Kagerou-class destroyer, in real-life history the name is associated with the older Minekaze-class destroyer.
- In English, Harekaze means Spring Wind.